Thursday, February 08, 2007

13 of my favorite books on Wicca TT#5








1. The Spiral Dance by Starhawk
Starhawk gives a great overview on workings of a coven, rituals, politics, and history of the craft.

2. 777 by Aleister Crowley
for the kabbalist and ceremonialist among the Wicca.

3. The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault
a great insight into the Minoan myths

4. Grimoire of Lady Sheba by Lady Sheba
the real deal and she was BLACKLISTED for writing it.

5. Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland
I have to include my grand dad in the craft.

6. The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald B. Gardner
I have to include my great grand daddy as well.

7. Rebirth of Witchcraft or anything by Doreen Valiente
Witch Queen Extraordinaire and author of the Charge of the Goddess!

8. The Secret Doctrine by H.P. Blavatsky
theosophy but chock full of magick

9. Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall
This book is huge and beautiful. A bit of everything but quite in depth.

10. Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs or anything by dear Scott Cunningham
Llewellyn literally worked him to DEATH but he was quite prolific during his too short life.

11. A Book of Pagan Rituals ed. by Herman Slater
this is the Book of Shadows for the Pagan Grove of the Magickal Childe. Includes solitary and group rituals.

12. The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets or anything by Barbara Walker
She takes you to places you've NEVER been before. Well researched and well channeled to fill in the gaps.

13. Witches' Goddess and Witches' God by Janet & Stewart Farrar
Both are a must. Very in depth on selected gods and goddesses including their history and rituals for them but also includes a great index with 100's of deities and key information.

please add your favorites to the list in the comments and happy t13!
Thursday Thirteen Participants
1. JHS
2. Nathalitanis
3. Heather
4. Marcia
5. Sanni
6. Jill

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.


Technorati Tag:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about that =), i posted it a couple of minutes after the 'hello' (i sort of forgot to click on the post button).

I might have to check some of those books by the way, sounds interesting

JHS said...

Intriguing titles, but I confess I have never even heard of any of them, much less read them!

Nathalie said...

I have #5 and #10, the rest I never heard of.
#3 sounds very interesting, I have her books on Alexander the Great, I will try to find this one too.

Nathalie said...

ooh, I just read that #3 is about Theseus! My favorite myth/hero since I was a little girl! I'm definitely getting this one now!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god !and goddess :)
You love the same books as I am. (Except no.12)
I love those books especially lady Sheba's grimoire…
Ho lexa you're never stop to surprise me.
ruby

Headmeister said...

Hello! I'm so glad to have read your T13! Once upon a time, loooong ago, I was VERY much interested in Wicca, to the point of almost buying a small new age book store because I spent so much time there (I figured I should buy it when it went on the market! lol! But I didn't.. but maybe one day I'll still do it!).

I have been trying to find a book that I once had. I don't know the title or author, but perhaps you can steer me in the right direction. It may have been called "When Santa was a Shaman" or something to that effect, but I'm still not sure that was it because I may be crossing the contents of one with the title of another. I'm looking for a book that talks about how todays religion and current Christian holidays have been formed around pagan rituals. If you have any ideas for me as to a book title and where to find it, that would be FANTASTIC!!! If you have any ideas for me, please email me at Headmeister3@yahoo.com

My T13 is up!

Be well,
Heather
www.diggingaholetochina.blogspot.com

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Your comments on each book made the list interesting.

Unknown said...

I´m glad I´ve found you on the TT´s, too. Those books sound very interesting - especially #4 by Lady Sheba and #6 by your great grand daddy. Impressive!

I´m sorry I didn´t make it earlier… we´ve had a car accident on the freeway – and the "person" who hit us tried to abscend.

Here you´ll find my TT #12 if you feel like!

Jill said...

You are the first person I know that are in Wicca!! I've seen a couple of documentaire(not remembering what it is in english) on it...

Lexa Roséan said...

to answer Heather
I'm not familiar with When Santa was a Shaman although it sounds great. I don't know of a book like that either. However, there are many books that connect the dots and show the roots of the old religion, or paganism, in the newer Patriarchal religions. Although there is so much information out there on this, I can't think of one text that only deals with this subject. A good book for someone to write!