Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Where should I start?!


Sunrunner said...

I am interested in learning more about Wicca. I have tried going to different bookstores to find a good book, but am lost at where to start. Could you give me a few good places/books to start with? Thank you!


Dear Sunrunner

Checking out your profile, I see you live in the Rocky Mountains. Well, that's an awful big area but I would guess that the closest interesting hands on bookstore would be in Boulder. Lot of magic there. But for the sake of my other readers, let's talk Amazon.com or B&N to which most of us will have access. A true classic is Starhawk's The Spiral Dance and there is a new 20th anniversary edition out. I like this book because it gives you a close up look at what it's like to work with a coven as well as explain the politics, psychology, and her/history behind Wicca. If you are working alone, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner is wonderful. Scott Cunningham was an amazing guy and I had the privilege to work and study with him. I would also suggest anything by Doreen Valiente or Gerald Gardner but this might be more advanced reading. Drawing Down the Moon is an extensive and well researched book by Margot Adler, who traveled around the country interviewing pagans and witches and describing their traditions. If you are looking for something more hands on, I humbly suggest my own works. Well, that's enough to get you started. The Witches' Voice is also a great website to look for reviews of new arrivals as well as the classics on Wicca.

blessed be
Lexa

1 comment:

Mo and The Purries said...

I think that your first two books: Spiraldance & Solitary Practice are two excellent choices for the pagan-curious!