Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Bewitched!

Happy Halloween and Blessed Samhain dear Readers! Today I am combining two letters which somehow seem to go together:

Dear Lexa:
Although I've considered myself a practicing witch for about 12 years now, I actually don't do many spells. However, I notice that certain times of the year-like now-call to me so strongly I just feel alive with magic. Its definitely a power surge that I greatly enjoy, but often I have no real needs to cast spells for. Could you shed some light on this experience of internal magic just lighting up like a bonfire and suggest some ways to indulge in the experience?
Thanks so much!
Wise Woman
Its enough for me to think that angels, or for that matter,
any form of goodness functions like water; they run into any opening they are given.
-Martha Beck

Dear Lexa –
I'm a young witchlet without a coven yet and I really want to celebrate Samhain (not just Halloween)! What can I do to make it special?
Blessed Be
Sorceress's Aprentice

Dear W.W. and S.A.
I can appreciate where both of you are coming from. I remember ye days of old when I was a young solitary practitioner without a coven or a clue. I also look back fondly at my days of working with a coven and then coupling with a Priest. After 25 + years, I have come full circle and find myself quite happy to once again be working as a Solitary.

Ok, here are some pointers I have to offer: Like you Wise Woman, I rarely have need to work spells (for myself) although much of my life is infused with ritual intention. The internal magick (as you put it) must be honored because it is so powerful. It always makes me think of the opening scene of the 1963 film THE RAVEN. Peter Lorre and Vincent Price are having a magickal battle. Lorre is desperately trying to set up an elaborate ceremonial altar and frantically looking for his "magickal equipment". Price in the meantime, just waves his hand and works wonders. Certainly an unfair fight but funny as hell! This teaches us that sometimes the smallest gesture can produce grand results whilst the greatest efforts may end up ineffectual.

I think the best way to honor your magick is to be in touch with the season. Connect with the Crone and find your inner wisdom. Whether your bonfire is actual or in spirit, let it fuel your every moment so that even the mundane becomes magickal. And young witchlet, don't knock Halloween just because you don't have a coven. You know what, Muggle parties can be a heck of a lot of fun! After years of Witches' Balls, I find them kind a "old witches' hat" and I prefer to tango and ballroom dance the night away with the 'regular folk'. So that's where I'll be tonight. I enjoy being the only witch among them and standing proud and out of the broom closet. Will I wear a costume? Nope, I prefer to go as myself this year because there's no one else I'd rather be! (Wise Woman, I'm sure you can appreciate that sentiment.)
Now don't get me wrong - after going out on the town, I'll be home by midnight to do my witchy thing. I'll be casting a spell to raise creative energy. And how will I do that? I'll begin writing my NaNoWriMo novel. Sure I'll probably light a candle and burn some incense, but the REAL MAGICK is in beginning this work. Remember - this is the Witches' New Year, so you can handle your ritual in the same way you would on Jan 1.

What is it you want to invoke for the new year?

On Nov 1, I'll take some time to remember my loved ones who have passed over. This is really what this holiday is about. There on the right is Jalup. Our old cat at Ye Old Occult shop where I used to work. Jalup was the best cat a witch could ever have and I'll put out some Beef Jerky for him (his favorite) in case he decides to stop by.


























I'll also honor and remember (with a mixture of sorrow and joy) my darling brother Jory who passed over 7 years ago in a car accident. He was one of the most special people in my life and I miss him dearly. One of the great things about this time of year is that the departed are close by. The veil is lifted and communication can be stronger than at any other time of the year. The Goddess also brings comfort at this time. Remember, it is the season of death and change. Honor these themes in your life (in your own way) and you are guarranteed to feel the Magick!
























For more ritual on Samhain see Sacred Harvest Fruits

No comments: